[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Rounding Decimals

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:21:11 CET 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 7:11 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> > I think pep 3141's round(x, ndigits) does (1). The only thing it
> > doesn't support yet is specifying the rounding mode. Perhaps the pep
> > should say that round() passes any extra named arguments on to the
> > __round__() method so that users can specify a rounding mode for types
> > that support it?
>
> That would clutter the interface.  Just specify a universal rounding mode for __round__ and have Decimal's implementation of that
> method comply.

Yeah, thinking about this more, a .round() method on Context objects
seems like a better way to handle the part of Mark's request that the
round builtin doesn't cover. Of course, there may be even better
alternatives that I haven't thought of. I'll post a patch to
http://bugs.python.org/issue1623 tomorrow so we have something
concrete to talk about.

--
Namasté,