[Python-3000] Is pickle's persistent_id worth keeping?

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Jan 8 13:54:29 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 10:26 -0500, Fred Drake wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:35 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> > Really, I'd like to see a much smaller standard library.  IMO, pickle
> > isn't essential enough to be part of the standard library and I'd be
> > happy to see pickle become a separate project. I'd prefer to see most
> > of the Python 2 standard library become separate projects.
>

> Hear, hear!  Aside from the concerns of the people needing sumo
> releases for political reasons, this is definitely the way to go.
>

>    -Fred

-1.  One of the big draws of python has always been that it is a
batteries-included language.  It has been advertised as such.  It has
been developed as such.  It has been used as such.

There is a tendency among (some) developers to use "political" as a code
word for "unimportant."  This is not the case.  Without addressing
"political" concerns, you will have a beautiful piece of software that
nobody uses.  The downside to coupling pickle to the standard library is
that it makes release cycles more challenging for the developers.  The
downside to isolating it is that it makes python a far less usable
language for programmers, who then have to manage more complex
dependencies.

Aside from the concerns of a few developers wanting simpler release
cycles, this is definitely not the way to go.

My 2¢.

Cliff