[Python-3000] PEP 3115: Actual use cases for odd metaclasses? Alternate syntax.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Jan 13 21:15:20 CET 2008

At 09:37 AM 1/13/2008 -0800, Charles Merriam wrote:
>Well, I'm explicitly dropping this.   So far no one has pointed out
>any use cases that are not equivalent to intercepting an array of the
>namespace in the __init__() of a  subclass of type, then calling
>type's __init__() on the modified namespace.

As I've previously mentioned, see PEP 3115, "Rationale", paragraph 6
for at least one such use case.

Also, you've still not shown how your proposal can support *any*
metaclass use case that involves metaclass methods other than
__init__ or __new__.  Without that, your previous proposal was dead
in the water, with or without other use cases.