[Python-3000] Is pickle's persistent_id worth keeping?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 15 19:15:33 CET 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 10:13 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:
> | On Jan 10, 2008 4:52 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:
> |> I'm very dependent of bsddb support in python. I'm very sorry also of
> |> the maintainer support of it: he is slow and doesn't implement python
> |> bindings for berkeleydb features deployed five years ago :-(. Could be a
> |> bit rude, but maybe a maintaner change would be in order. I would rather
> |> prefer to talk to current maintainer, but I rather apply for maintaner
> |> position than dropping bsddb from the python stdlib!!.
> |
> | Hi Jesus,
> |
> | I don't know if there *is* a current maintainer. There are a few
> | people who sometimes fix things in the current code base, but I think
> | development has stopped. If you're serious about wanting to take over
> | maintenance, (or even just contributing) that would be great!
>
> I would do, *if* Greg agrees. Or if he is Missing In Action.

"""
Looks like you missed Greg's response a few days ago:

I consider myself the maintainer because I at least make sure it keeps
working with new berkeleydb releases and such and am one of the most
familiar with the _bsddb.c code internals (both the good and the bad).

But theres a caveat to me having that job: I have -zero- use for the
bsddb module myself today. Whenever I update it it really is a
donation of my time since I don't personally need the changes.  A
maintainer that has a vested interest in using the module would be a
great thing.  There are a couple crashing bugs that need fixing and a
few more recent API additions that could be wrapped for sure.

Volunteering Jesus? :)
"""

Sounds like he's all for you taking over!