[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] inst_persistent_id

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Jan 24 17:04:11 CET 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I'll have to skeptically take your work for it.  I take this to mean
> that there is no C API to write to file objects or their underlying
> files.  If there is a C API, then I'd be surprised if it wasn't faster
> than going though a Python API.  My initial skepticism of this change
> was along the lines of "if it aint broke, don't fix it".  It sounds
> like it was broke, so it makes sense to rip it out and only re-
> implement it if it makes sense later.

Most parts of the C API for file object was rewritten in Python. Only
small parts are written in C (_fileio module). The C API still has some
convenient methods to write to a file object.

Alex is working on an optimized C implementation.

http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/py3k/Modules/_fileio.c?rev=59565&view=auto
http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/py3k/Include/fileobject.h?rev=59311&view=auto