[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] No beta2 tonight

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 17 18:27:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 3375: Guido (thanks guido) looked into this, and while I banged my
>>> head on it a lot yesterday - guido's identified the issue, and now I
>>> need to figure out a fix - help is welcome on this one.
>>
>> You're welcome. I would have never found this if I hadn't had a
>> heightened awareness of the sys.path_importer_cache variable recently,
>> due to implementing a zipimport.py for Google App Engine. :-)
>>
>> I can try looking for a fix later today (in a few hours). A very crude
>> fix would be to just remove all keys that have NullImporter values
>> from that variable just before attempting to import the module that
>> was just built. I'm hoping for something subtler though; I wonder if
>> there's an identifyable point where the lib directory got created.

I submitted a fix along these lines -- other things I tried did not
work out. The issue is fixed.

> An additional note for anyone else - this is only under py3k - trunk
> is perfectly fine.

Right. I'm thinking that something changed in the massaging of the
default search path, but I can't be bothered to investigate further. I
do know that right after startup there are more non-trivial entries in
sys.path_importer_cache in 3.0 than there are in 2.6.