[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] No beta2 tonight

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jul 18 17:11:06 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Josiah Carlson
<josiah.carlson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Invariably, when someone goes and removes a module, someone else is
> going to complain, "but I used feature X, not having feature X will
> break my code."  We, as maintainers can then say, "if you cared,
> maintain it."  But I'm not sure that is the greatest thing to tell
> people.  I suspect that we may have to include some sort of
> "work-alike" for 2.7 and if not 3.0, 3.1 .  If I were to vote for a
> work-alike, it would be based on sqlite.  For one of the most common
> use-cases (bsddb.btree), simple sqlite code can be written to do the
> right thing.  Recno is a little more tricky, but can also be done.
> The bsddb hash may not be possible, because sqlite doesn't support
> hashed indices :/.

In my mind, BSDDB is pretty much the most heavy-weight extension we're
maintaining. I think it's an illusion that a sqlite-based look-alike
is going to fool anyone. The correct solution is to take support for
bsddb to a separate project where those who care about it can maintain
it together. That also makes it a lot easier to track the versions of
Berkeley DB as they come out.

Of course, you're free to try writing the work-alike you're proposing. :-)