[Python-3000] MemoryError oddities

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:32:08 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> +1 OverflowErrors should probably by reserved for numeric overflows.
>>
>> In a sense, passing sys.maxsize as a string size *is* a numeric
>> overflow - the size can't be represented in the available variable.
>
> I'm sure this is the source of the confusion. The problem is that if
> you specify a small enough value that you *don't* get into
> unrepresentable sizes, but still very large, you do get a MemoryError.
> For continuity it would be better to treat both the same, i.e. use
> MemoryError consistently.

I just checked in a bunch of security patches that do not follow this
convention.  I wanted to avoid changing the patches we exchanged on
the security list.  The errors should be changed and made consistent.
The patches were checked in to 2.4, 2.5, and trunk.  Can someone make
sure to forward port to 3k?

Thanks,