[Python-3000] -t command line option

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 11:25:45 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum schrieb:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
>> Python 3.0 defaults to "-tt" (error on inconsistent usage of tab and
>> spaces). Then: why is there still a "-t" and "-tt" command line option?
>> Is just a relic that should be removed?
>
> Probably. Though there are plenty of precedents for leaving such
> inactive options in for a long time, to avoid unnecessarily breaking
> hairy shell scripts.

It's even stranger: you can use -ttt to disable the errors again.

r45381 | thomas.wouters | 2006-04-14 13:33:28 +0200 (Fr, 14 Apr 2006) | 9 lines

Make 'python -tt' the default, meaning Python won't allow mixing tabs and
spaces for indentation. Adds a '-ttt' option to turn the errors back into
warnings; I'm not yet sure whether that's desireable for Py3K.

Should this stay?

In any case, the usage string and the docs for -t and sys.flags must
be corrected.

Georg