[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] No releases tonight

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Mar 1 19:56:28 CET 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> In this case, there was a lot more work to do because 2.6 wasn't tied
> in at all.  Add to the fact that I didn't have any experience with the
> website infrastructure made things a bit more difficult the first time
> out.  I still don't quite have the 2.6 links working correctly in my
> local fs.  So the biggest problem is really: what steps do you take
> when you need to expose a new major release on the website?

Starting with the first betas of 2.6 and 3.0 we should also work on
official texts for the press. Other projects like PHP are drawing lots
of attention with their releases, even with bug fix and security
releases. Bad news are better than no news - a beta release is *good* news.

When 3.0a2 was released I contacted two larger German IT news sites. Non
of them even bother to reply. :/

I propose that we provide two official texts for the press. A shorter
text which explains Python and the most important changes since the last
version in a few paragraphs and a longer, more detailed text like
Martin's text for the 2.5.2 release.

I also propose translations of the shorter text to important languages
like French, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish. I'm willing to
help with the German translation.

Christian