[Python-3000] should Python 3's executable install as 'python'?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:28:22 CET 2008

On 05/03/2008, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> This is quick feedback given my experiences installing Python 3 for the
> first time. Take it as that, please.
[...]
> A quick search on the topic found a  discussion about this in '05
> without a conclusion, and the following text in PEP 3000:

There was a discussion on this list not long ago, under the title
"Namespaces are one honking great idea". You might want to look at
that. I don't recall any conclusion being reached, though.

As far as Unix is concerned, I have no direct interest, and so won't
comment. All I will say is that I expect Python 3 to install a
python.exe executable on Windows. I have no reason to believe that
this won't happen, and it's the current default. All I'm saying is
that whatever is decided to be appropriate on Unix shouldn't affect
Windows behaviour.

Paul.