[Python-3000] should Python 3's executable install as 'python'?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 5 12:54:12 CET 2008

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:42:39PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> altinstall exists, and it doesn't say what it does.
>
>    "make altinstall" installs everything including pythonX.Y binary. "make
> install" does "make altinstall" and then hardlinks pythonX.Y to just
> python. Running "make altinstall" without "make install" installs python
> without the last step, so your previous python binary left intact, and you
> new python binary is pythonX.Y.

Yes, I understood when you pointed it out the first time, given the
context. I was suggesting you need text like that in README. You might
want to add something like this:

"If you install Python 3.x on a system that already uses Python 2.x, we
encourage you to use 'make altinstall'. Doing "make install" risks
breaking existing scripts until they have been updated to work with
Python 3.0."

Regards,

Martijn