[Python-3000] 3.0 alpha builds break on FreeBSD.

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Mar 5 22:27:45 CET 2008

The 3.0 alphas don't seem to build on FreeBSD. I've tried on both
6.2-stable and 7.0-RELEASE, using both make and gmake on each. They
all start complaining about bad commands in the makeilfe, then seem to
be working fine, then complain about a recursion in the dependency
graph, and stop.

The problem appears to be related to configure not being able to find
a shell it's happy with. I'm not sure what's wrong with /bin/sh, but
configure complains about it not supporting functions. Changing the #!
line to use bash (after installing bash) solved the problem.

I'm sure there's more details those interested in fixing this would
like, I'm just not sure what they are - so please ask.

      Thanks,
      <mike