[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] 2.6 and 3.0 project management

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 16 15:18:27 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Facundo Batista
<facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/3/16, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
>  >  they are a sufficient tool. In my day job at Google we've started to
>  >  do all task management for our project in the bug tracker (but that
>  >  tracker has some features that make it particularly easy). Does anyone
>
>  Like which? Something that could be added to our tracker in a short time?

It has a much more detailed set of categories, organized as a tree.
Our project alone probably has 20-30 different bug categories. New
bugs in those categories are automatically CC'ed to our group's
mailing list (which isn't the same as auto-assignment).

There are also more "bug states" you can use to track progress of a
bug through the system: unassigned, assigned, accepted (meaning the
assignee is actually working on it). (There are also a whole bunch
that I don't find so useful, and severam that roundup already
supports.)

But perhaps the best feature is "hot lists" -- arbitrary, ordered,
groupings of selected bugs. Each bug can be assigned to as many hot
lists as you want. Seeing the list of all bugs in a particular hot
list is one click away. We use this for overlaying project management
categories and priorities, such as "code", "documentation",
"configuration" as well as "next internal release", "must have", "post
launch" etc.