[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] 2.6 and 3.0 project management

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 15:31:25 CET 2008

    Guido> It has a much more detailed set of categories, organized as a
    Guido> tree.  Our project alone probably has 20-30 different bug
    Guido> categories. New bugs in those categories are automatically CC'ed
    Guido> to our group's mailing list (which isn't the same as
    Guido> auto-assignment).

Adding categories should be easy.  Organized in trees?  Not so sure.

    Guido> There are also more "bug states" you can use to track progress of
    Guido> a bug through the system: unassigned, assigned, accepted (meaning
    Guido> the assignee is actually working on it). (There are also a whole
    Guido> bunch that I don't find so useful, and severam that roundup
    Guido> already supports.)

Again, I think this should be easy.

    Guido> But perhaps the best feature is "hot lists" -- arbitrary,
    Guido> ordered, groupings of selected bugs. Each bug can be assigned to
    Guido> as many hot lists as you want. Seeing the list of all bugs in a
    Guido> particular hot list is one click away. We use this for overlaying
    Guido> project management categories and priorities, such as "code",
    Guido> "documentation", "configuration" as well as "next internal
    Guido> release", "must have", "post launch" etc.

A hot list sounds like a saved search, which Roundup already supports.  It
also supports making these saved searches public.  I suspect you could
define one or more saved public searches which correspond to desired hot
lists.

Aside: Today's my last day here.  I'd like to say hi sometime today.  Free
for lunch?  Maybe this would be a good lunchtime discussion.

Skip