[Python-3000] Making 2to3 installable

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:57:55 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:22 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>  People would try the process on their development machines, and change
>>  the code until it actually runs under both versions.
>>
>>  I'll be using my sprinting time to find out whether that approach
>>  can actually work.
>
> That would be good. I agree with the ideal process, but I doubt that
> it will realistically work exactly like that, so I expect that calling
> 2to3 upon install is just going to cost a lot of CPU time and then
> produce a non-working install.

I was thinking that a comment based "directives" approach ala doctest
might help with some of the trickier 2->3 migrations. For example,
allowing someone to write an explicit conversion for a particular line:

   for x, y, in my_izip(s1, s2): # 2to3: for x, y, in zip(s1, s2):

(Dodgy example I know, but it gives the general idea)

Cheers,
Nick.