[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] PEP 361: Python 2.6/3.0 release schedule

John Millikin jmillikin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:17:32 CET 2008

> Possible features for 2.6
>     New modules in the standard library:
>         - JSON implementation

Have there been any plans made for which one? All of the
implementations I'm aware of (cjson, simplejson, jsonlib, demjson,
python-json) have serious issues that in my opinion should be fixed
before inclusion in the standard library[1]. I am the author of
jsonlib, and am willing to write patches for whichever implementation
becomes the standard, but it would be very nice to know what to focus
on.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but there was no link to
a PEP in 361 and a search of python-dev and c.l.p returned no relevant
results.

[1]
* cjson and python-json have almost complete absense of Unicode support.
* simplejson is slow and writes incorrect unicode escapes.
* demjson is far too forgiving when parsing and accepts all sorts of
invalid input.
* jsonlib is not PEP 8-compliant and has terrible error handling.
* python-json is abandoned, slow, and lacks Unicode support.