[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:50:54 CET 2008

@#$ send in the middle of the email.    Sorry.

Short version:  Python 3000 breaks other code as well, some subtly.
This could be bad.    One long debugging
session over a missing character on a report due to the change in
representation of a Long could make all
the work of trying for an easy "3to2" conversion tool moot.

I don't know if the list has considered proposals to generalize the
underlying string prefix operator, such that
a user could somehow write a function t"Hello" to be equivalent to
gettext.gettext("Hello").  Has it been
brought up before?