[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:31:16 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 5:27 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Will python 2.6 have something like "from future import
>  > unicode_string_literals" ?
>
>  It was proposed before, I don't know whether any implementation
>  on that has started.
>

>  > This should also solve lennart's problem. (But then py3k would need to
>  > support that future import, which
>  > is forbidden).
>
>  Right. Of course, just removing a __future__ import is simpler than
>  editing all the string literals.

Also, if it doesn't come into 2.6, it can always appear in a 2.7.
While u'' support rather is something you'd want to *remove* from a
3.1, not add. Yes, this is a better solution. I'm now lobbying for
"from __future__ import unicode_string_literals" instead. :)

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64