[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 20 22:25:21 CET 2008

>>  For the development cycle, it could remain change-test, if the test
>>  runner would do the 2to3 conversion first.
>
> Why/how would it? How would it know what to run 2to3 on?

There could be a 3k copy created by the test suite, which it
updates based on the time stamps of the 2.x sources.

>>  I think this problem is highly theoretical.
>
> No, this is a highly practical problem. The practicality of running
> 2to3 on various magical ways is highly theoretical. I described how
> the world looks, now. That is not theory.

You have been describing a chicken-and-egg problem that might
occur *after* 3.0 is released. This is not what the world looks
today: today's world does not have 3.0.

Speculating that users will reject 3.0 if they have to run 2to3
is, well, speculation (and so is that they will adopt 3.0 despite
having nothing but 2to3).

Regards,
Martin