[Python-3000] Reserve "pragma" keyword in Python 3.0?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 13:04:47 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>  > If there's some chance it would be accepted, I would happily make the patch.
>
>  I don't think there is. Making it a keyword now means essentially to
>  agree that the feature will be added later, so opponents of the feature
>  will oppose the first step.

In any case, calling it "pragma" is C-damage. ;) There is no way you
can understand what that is supposed to do unless you have used enough
C to use #pragmas, more or less. I find the syntax from __future__
import <whatever> clearer. It tells you what it does: It imports a bit
of the future.

I dont' think there will be much use of other "pragmas", we don't WANT
to change the languages behaviour except when backwards compatibility
breaks. But if that happens at least call it something reasonable. As
"enable specialfeature" or "use specialfeature". "pragma
specialfeature" is just confusing.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64