[Python-3000] Enough with the u"string" already!

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 24 19:21:05 CET 2008

I haven't read that thread yet (and probably never will), but I want
to draw a line in the sand. In order to avoid a slippery slope, I'm
not putting backwards compatibility in 3.0 for stuff we want killed
*except* for certain exceptions that 2to3 can't fix. (The only one I
am aware of being % formatting, which will survive alongside .format()
for now.)

Hopefully this will kill the discussion.

--Guido