[Python-3000] Dict literal bytecode

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Mar 28 23:27:30 CET 2008

Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk wrote:
> What about lists? I guess (haven't checked) that they are made like
> tuples.

I always thought they were built one item at a time,
but I was wrong (see below). So there doesn't seem to
be much logic or consistency here at all.

 >>> def f():
...  x = [1,2,3]
 >>> from dis import dis
 >>> dis(f)
   2           0 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
               3 LOAD_CONST               2 (2)
               6 LOAD_CONST               3 (3)
               9 BUILD_LIST               3
              12 STORE_FAST               0 (x)