[Python-3000] A small suggestion

Talin talin at acm.org
Mon Mar 31 04:24:40 CEST 2008

I notice that whenever someone cross-posts a message to both python-dev
and python-3000, I get two copies of every reply to the thread, which
makes the thread somewhat hard to read. Perhaps most people on this list
have smarter mail readers than I do (Thunderbird in my case) which can
merge the duplicate messages, but if you find this as much of an
annoyance as I do, then I have a couple of small suggestions:

1) If your message is important enough to post to multiple mailing
lists, then it might make sense to post a separate message to each list;
That way, when someone replies to the message, they will only be
replying to one list, not all of them.

(Another option might be to just BCC the lists. I'm sure that there are
other options as well.)

2) If you are responding to a cross-posted message, I'd suggest taking
the time to edit the "To:" field so that you're only replying to the
lists you really want to.

Of course, if you really do want to start one single thread in both
lists, I have no objection - but I suspect that most of the time this
isn't the intent, and is just generating unnecessary traffic.

The good news is that it only takes one person being careful with their
reply headers to cut out whole sub-trees of duplicate traffic, and
thereby save python.org some valuable bandwidth :)

-- Talin