[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun May 4 16:14:59 CEST 2008

    glyph> As I've said a dozen times in this thread already, the feature
    glyph> I'd like to get from a per-user installation location is that
    glyph> 'setup.py install', or at least some completely canonical
    glyph> distutils incantation, should work, by default, for non-root
    glyph> users; ideally non-administrators on windows as well as non-root
    glyph> users on unixish platforms.

I'm unclear why anything needs changing then.  At work we have idiosyncratic
central install locations for everything, not just Python.  None of this
stuff is installed by root.  When I want to install some package to test
without polluting the central waters I simply run setup.py install with a
--prefix arg then set PYTHONPATH to pick up my stuff before the central
stuff.  I see no reason to change the behavior of setup.py's install
command.  It gives you the flexibility needed to handle a number of
different scenarios.

Skip