[Python-3000] PEP 370 (was Re: [Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 4 16:22:27 CEST 2008

glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> As I've said a dozen times in this thread already, the feature I'd like
> to get from a per-user installation location is that 'setup.py install',
> or at least some completely canonical distutils incantation, should
> work, by default, for non-root users; ideally non-administrators on
> windows as well as non-root users on unixish platforms.

This is what I see as the goal of PEP 370 as well. Perhaps the PEP could
be more explicit in spelling that out?

"""The primary goal of this PEP is to provide a standard mechanism
allowing Python users to install distutils packages for their own use
without affecting other users of the same machine, and without requiring
any change to the packages themselves."""

I think the current Rationale section kind of assumes that the reader
already recognises the above paragraph as the reason for the PEP.

In the UNIX Notes section, the PEP should probably also state that the
reason for choosing a hidden dot-file directory is that users generally
aren't going to have any interest in the source files for the Python
packages that they install, and that users that would prefer for the
files to be visible can easily make a symbolic link to the directory.

Cheers,
Nick.