[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 6 15:51:32 CEST 2008

Alec Thomas wrote:
> FWIW my vote is for ~/.python. ~/.local comes in a distant second due
> to non-obviousness and ~/Python is several light years beyond that.

I think if the obviousness (or lack thereof) of the chosen directory
name ever really matters to anyone, we did it wrong. After all, unless
you're trying to use something other than distutils to get a package
ready for installation, how often does it really matter that the
site-packages directory for an installed python interpreter actually
lives somewhere inside /usr/local?

The main advantage I see to using the "~/.local" approach is that a lot
of questions about file layout (e.g. where to put architecture specific
code) are automatically (and fairly obviously) answered "Do whatever is
done for the system-wide equivalent in /usr/local".

Cheers,
Nick.