[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed May 14 19:24:11 CEST 2008

On 2008-05-14 18:33, Georg Brandl wrote:

>>> +1
>
> Will this get use the hex, base64 etc. "codecs" back? If yes, great!

I suppose so :-)

Those would work only work on bytes, though, so to convert
the result into text, you'd have to do:

text = bytes.encodebytes('hex').decode('ascii')
bytes = text.encode('ascii').decodebytes('hex')

>> Fine, so we need new methods for PyUnicode and PyString objects
>> which allow encoding and decoding using the same type (and enforce
>> the return types).
>>
>> Any suggestions ?
>>
>> How about these:
>>
>> str.str_encode() -> str
>> str.str_decode() -> str
>>
>> bytes.bytes_encode() -> bytes
>> bytes.bytes_decode() -> bytes
>
> Cool, a naming contest :)
>
> What about transform/untransform?

Not bad :-)

Here's a version without underscores:

str.encodestr() -> str
str.decodestr() -> str

bytes.encodebytes() -> bytes
bytes.decodebytes() -> bytes

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 14 2008)