[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 15 11:12:14 CEST 2008

Greg Ewing writes:

 > What I'm not seeing is a clear rationale on where you
 > draw the line. Out of all the possible transformations
 > between a string and some other kind of data, which
 > ones deserve to be available via this rather strange
 > and special interface, and why?

I don't know nuthin about just desserts.

As I wrote earlier in response to Jim, what I would *expect* to be
provided by this interface (not necessarily named "encode" and
"decode", but invoked as a method with a transformation name as
parameter) are those transformations that are "like codecs":
stream-oriented and invertible.