[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 16 01:30:29 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> str.transform() -> str     (uses the encode function of the codec)
> str.untransform() -> str   (uses the decode function of the codec)

Not sure I like those names. It's rather unclear which
direction is "transform" and which is "untransform".

People seem to have trouble enough with "encode" and
"decode", but at least there's a clear definition of
that from Unicode-land, and there's the type difference
to catch the mistake if you get it wrong.

Since both ends have the same type here, it's more
important to find unambiguous names if possible.

--
Greg