[Python-3000] Help with finishing PEP 3108

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri May 16 07:39:30 CEST 2008

I need help to finish implementing PEP 3108. While over 80 modules are
now deprecated in Python 2.6 (of which I did over 50 of), there are
still over 20 tasks left to do in relation to the PEP. My free time is
being sucked away since I have a conference paper deadline of June 1.
And I am moving May 31. And I have to fly down to California to help
my mother move on June 4. And other personal stuff (see a certain
trend in my life at the moment?).

So if you have time to help, please see issue 2775
(http://bugs.python.org/issue2775) and the dependencies list. The
issues range from doing patch reviews of work people have already
done, renaming a module, creating a new package, removing some use
from the stdlib, or even backporting some changes made to 3.0 that
were never merged into 2.6. In other words a wide variety of things.
=)  The PEP outlines the steps necessary to deprecate a module for
deletion or for a rename in a step-by-step manner so you don't need to
worry about forgetting a step.

If you can't choose what to do, the issues that will lead to a module
be deleted are the highest priority as renames can be handled by 2to3
in a later version while module deletions are harder to get pushed
through and accepted. The modules left to still remove are still there
because they are still used somehow in the stdlib. The module renames
are mostly done at this point, but the new packages have not been
handled yet.

Obviously I don't want the beta to be held up by this, nor do I want
to see any of the work left out because I couldn't get to it all. So
any and all help is appreciated.

-Brett