[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 24 09:33:19 CEST 2008

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Atsuo Ishimoto" <ishimoto at gembook.org> wrote in message
> news:797440730805231904y501d310fw124ccd0e37defd3b at mail.gmail.com...
> | Yes. My question is "Which do you feel comfortable, printing collect
> | glyphs or hex-escaped ASCII ?". I prefer printed glyphs for foreign
> | characters, but I had feeling that western people prefer hex-escaped
> | ASCII in general. But from responses I saw, perhaps this is not big
> | deal.
>
> Given that my system displays most major alphabets, and that I can
> recognize most, the glyphs are more informative for informal purposes than
> seemingly 'random' codes.

The same goes for me - Konsole displays all sorts of Unicode glyphs just
fine. I can actually read Japanese kana and the Cyrillic alphabet a heck
of a lot better than I can read Unicode hex escapes, purely because the
additional symbols are more distinctive than a relatively arbitrary
collection of numbers :)

Cheers,
Nick.