[Python-3000] Stabilizing the C API of 2.6 and 3.0

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu May 29 17:45:24 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
> Well, first of all, it is a change in the C API:
> APIs have different names now, they live in different files,
> the Python documentation doesn't apply anymore, books have to
> be updated, programmers trained, etc. etc. That's fine for
> 3.x, it's not for 2.x.

No, that's not correct. The 2.x API is still the same. I've only changed
the internal code.

> Second, if you leave out the "ease merging" argument, all of
> this is not really necessary in 2.x. If you absolutely want
> to have PyBytes APIs in 2.x, then you can *add* them, without
> removing the PyString APIs. We have done that on a smaller
> scale a couple of times in the past (turned functions into
> macros or vice-versa).

The PyString methods are still available and the official API for
dealing with str objects in 2.x.

> And finally, the "merge" argument itself is not really all that
> strong. It's just a matter of getting the procedure corrected.
> Then you can rename and restructure as much as you want in
> 3.x - without affecting the stability and matureness of the
> 2.x branch.

I'm volunteering to revert my chances if you are volunteering to keep
the Python 2.x series in sync with the 3.x series.

Christian