[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Finishing up PEP 3108

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 29 19:32:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Brett Cannon schrieb:
>>
>> The issues related to PEP 3108 now total 14. With the beta
>> (supposedly) in a week, I am hoping the last minor details can be
>> pulled together or decisions made on what can be postponed and what
>> should definitely be considered a release blocker.
>>
>> Issue 2847 - the aifc module still imports the cl module in 3.0.
>> Problem is that the cl module is gone. =) So it seems silly to have
>> the imports lying about. This can probably be changed to critical.
>
> It shouldn't be a problem to rip everything cl-related out of aifc.
> The question is how useful aifc will be after that ...

If it ends up not being useful then the module can just go.

>> Issue 2848 - mimetools has been deprecated for a while, but it is
>> still used in a bunch of places. Since this has been deprecated in PEP
>> 4 for a long time, should we add the removal warning in 2.6 now and
>> then make its actual removal of usage something to do by another beta?
>>
>> Issue 2849 - rfc822 is the same problem as mimetools.
>
> The problem is that nobody seems to know what exactly distinguishes
> mimetools/rfc822' classes and its successor's (email's) classes, so
> it's hard to replace it in the stdlib.

Right. I have looked myself over the years and it never seemed
brain-dead simple.

>> Issue 2873 - htmllib is slated to go, but pydoc still uses it. Then
>> again, pydoc is busted thanks to the new doc format.
>
> I will try to handle this in the coming week.

Fred had the interesting suggestion of removing pydoc in Py3K based on
the thinking that documentation tools like pydoc should be external to
Python. With the docs now so easy to generate directly, should pydoc
perhaps just be gutted to only what is needed for help() to work?

>> Issue 2919 - profile and cProfile needs to be merged. This has not
>> been dealt with yet. Would it be reasonable to deprecate importing
>> cProfile directly in 2.6 with the assumption the merge will work out
>> for 3.0?
>
> That's not the right way to go, you don't want to deprecate cStringIO
> or cPickle either.

Yeah, sorry, you're right. Guess my brain was not fully working when I
wrote that. =)

>> So that is everything that's left. Issue 2775 is the tracking issue so
>> you can look there to see what issues are still open and need work. I
>> was hoping to spend Monday and Tuesday trying to tie up as many loose
>> ends as possible, but the conference paper I have been working on that
>> was due Sunday is now due a week later, and so Monday and Tuesday will
>> be spent on that (supervisor's orders). Plus I am flying out Wednesday
>> for 10 days to help my mother move and I don't know when I will get
>> Net again. In other words, I still need help. =)
>
> Let's hope we get this right in time.
>
> Then again, there are lots of other release blockers, so it may well be
> that the beta is delayed by some time.

Guess it depends on the whim of the release manager. =)

-Brett