[Python-3000] Fwd: UPDATED: PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat May 31 18:32:13 CEST 2008

Hi Atsuo,

I'm very close to accepting your PEP. I have a few questions:

- The Rationale has a more elaborate (and perhaps slightly
conflicting, regarding the status of ASCII space?) definition of our
definition of non-printable than the Specification. Perhaps this could
be merged?

- I'm still not comfortable with making stdout default to
backslashreplace. Stuff written to stdout might be consumed by another
program that might misinterpret the \ escapes. Previously I thought I
was okay with doing this only if stdout.isatty() returns True, but I
think that would just add confusion of the kind "it works in
interactive mode but not when redirecting to a file".  I'm okay with
apps who think they need this setting that explicitly, but not to
having it be the default. (For stderr however I agree that
backslashreplace is the right default.)

- What happens to Unicode characters that are "unassigned"? I assume
there are many of those, especially outside the basic plane. Shouldn't
we be conservative and convert these to \u or \U escapes as well?