[Python-3000] PEP 3108 and the demise of bsddb3

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Thu Sep 4 07:08:04 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
>>   Skip> Remind me why we want to get rid of bsddb?
>>
>>   Benjamin> The reasons are enumerated in PEP 3108.
>>
>> Not much justification and no references to outside discussion for such a
>> heavily used package which has been part of Python for a long time in one
>> form or another.
>
> Well said.

Frankly I don't see a big deal with not including it in *3.0* so long
as a reference to where to download it as an add on (jcea's pybsddb
site) is included in the release notes and PEP 3108.  I've updated the
relevant documentation in 3.0.

I'm not going to fight a battle against its removal when I know
several python devs are already way to scarred and cranky to ever
change their minds due to BerkeleyDB itself being painful to get
working right on all platforms.  Theres truth to that not being worth
our time if we actually want to test the module properly to avoid
shipping a lemon.

The fact that the Python Lib/bsddb/test/ test suite has uncovered
actual Oracle/Sleepycat BerkeleyDB bugs in supposedly stable releases
has always disturbed me.

I do wish this had been discussed on comp.lang.python before now
rather than pulling the rug out at the last minute.  oh well.

-gps

PS Thank you jcea for your wonderful work on improving bsddb!
Regardless of whether it appears in the standard library in the future
you're making many users very happy with your work.