[Python-3000] PEP 3108 and the demise of bsddb3

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 4 20:41:30 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> I am still in favor of removing bsddb from Python 3.0.
>
> BDFL has talked.
>
> I want to record this:
>
> * I will keep maintaining bsddb in Python 2.6. No idea what is the plan
> for 2.7, nevertheless.

Great! As everyone has said, this is nothing personal and I am glad
you are not taking it that way.

As for 2.7, it's a wait and see. My guess is that we will have one
where we have backported some more stuff from 3.0/3.1 to 2.7 to keep
the transition easy.

> * I will keep bsddb updated and available via PYPI, both for 2.x and 3.x
> branches. Source only. Windows users will be at the mercy of other
> compiling the module and making it available.
>
> * I will be available if the decision to drop bsddb from standard lib is
> reconsidered.
>
> * I will try to find another Python area of interest to me, to fully
> honor my commit privileges.

As I mentioned in another email, I think it would be a great idea to
change the dbm package so that bsddb can easily be hooked into the dbm
package as a 3rd-party DB back-end (along with any other DB backend
that wants to). If you want to work on that for 2.7/3.1 it would be
greatly appreciated!

-Brett