[Python-3000] About "daemon" in threading module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 04:38:26 CEST 2008

Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
>>
>> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>> Hmm, having (daemon=False) as a parameter on start() would probably be
>>> an even better API than having it on __init__() (modulo subclassing
>>> compatibility concerns).
>> Agreed. Could it be done for 3.0?.
>
> Also, FWIW, I thought we were no longer doing API changes?

We aren't - if we'd thought of it a month ago, we could have included
it, but now 2.7/3.1 is the earliest for that change.

As far as the 'typo protection' goes... I'm still not convinced that the
delayed action of the set daemon effect means that the Thread object
needs special protection.

If an application fails to set the attribute properly, then its test
suite will hang on shutdown (as the threading module attempts to do
.join() on a thread that hasn't been told to stop).

Cheers,
Nick.