[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] dbm.sqlite

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Sep 9 12:31:19 CEST 2008

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Given that the *API* is fixed though, it is probably better to have the
> module present in 3.0 and bring it back to the main line in 2.7.
>
> If any absolute clangers from a performance/stability point of view get
> past Raymond (and everyone else with an interest in this) then they can
> be addressed in 3.0.1 in a few months time.

I agree about performance but I don't think it's right to say we can fix
stability later. This is a storage module, and people risk losing their data if
there are glaring bugs. If we really want an efficient dbm-compatible storage
backend for all platforms on 3.0, then why not bite the bullet and re-add bsddb?
Even though it has its quirks, it's certainly much more tested than a
hypothetical dbm.sqlite whipped up in a few days and used by nobody in the wild.