[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Filename as byte string in python 2.6 or 3.0?

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Sep 30 17:14:12 CEST 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Adam Olsen wrote:
> I'd rather the 1% of cases that need to handle bad file names make an
> explicit effort to do so, via alternate byte APIs or (if necessary)
> the 8859-1 hack.

So are you okay with python failing to run properly if the current
directory has strange bytes in it? What if something odd is on the
PATH environment variable? So much for being able to access
os.environ['PATH']? I just don't see how that's okay behavior of a
programming language to fail so drastically.

Unless you're proposing that nothing in python itself ever use the
Unicode file API...but if you're proposing that, it kinda seems silly
to even have it.

James