[Python-africa] Raspberry Pi

D Laloux lalouxd at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 13:50:04 EST 2016

My question was really more about the Raspberry Pi then about Python, but the first one being closely linked to the second...

I live and work in Belgium (only a couple of hours away from where Guido van Rossum invented Python ;-), but I started a project in Togo in 2012, where I have since set up two computer rooms for the benefit of MS/HS students (and teachers) in rural schools. I am about to install another one next summer, and my goal is now to install one more room at least every year for the foreseable future. I also lived there for a year in order to work at the project, training teachers and students.

Bien sûr, je fais cela en français, puisque nos amis Togolais apprennent le français à l'école (peut-être qu'un jour je pourrai le faire en éwé, mais j'ai encore beaucoup de travail avant d'y arriver ;-)

The second room I set up was a Raspberry Pi room, and that's the type of installations I intend to make exclusively in the future (at least, Single Board Computer rooms... whether they are strictly Raspberry Pis or other brands of SBC make little difference). There are so many advantages in using these small computers for such projects. Of course, the Raspi is closely linked to Python, as that was the first language promoted on that platform. Hence my question : have other members of this list set up similar rooms in other African countries, and are they working with such devices? I would love to share practical experience with them...

FYI, here is a small video of the setup of our first Raspberry Pi room : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d075z_tZ0Qo

DL