Python4linux -- Mailing list for discussing issues with the Python distribution for Linux and Python on Linux in general.

Oliver Andrich oli@andrich.net
Tue, 27 Jul 99 15:19:43 GMT

Hi,

I like to announce the creation of a new mailing list on starship.skyport.net
which was setup to discuss the following topics:

    - The problems with the Python distribution for RPM based Linux systems
      (glibc 2.x Systems only)
    - The problems with Python on Linux in general. I know that this can be
      discussed in the newsgroup too, but I think that some people like to
      discuss some very specific things on a low volumen list.
    - The future of the Python distribution for Linux systems. Currently the whole
      project is run, administrated and maintained by myself with some very
      helpful contributors and users. But I like to move the whole thing to
      a group effort, where I see myself as one contributor to this effort
      who also tries to coordinate and maintain the whole effort
    - Discussion of new Linux platforms where we like to port Python too. And
      all this stuff.
    - I also like to focus the verious efforts to package Python stuff for
      Linux in one way. So that we can offer one location where Linux users
      interested in prepackaged stuff can go to and fetch what they want.
      The whole thing shouldn't be a "Oliver Andrich did it." show or so,
      but I want to spread Python as Perl has spread. And
      starship.python.net and python.org do a very good job. And we can
      supply an extra service for Linux users.

I hope a lot of people will subscribe to this list and that we can
coordinate the effort in a better way. And my personal mailbox get's a
little bit smaller. Don't read this as "go away, I am to busy." but I think
the whole project is way to big so that I can maintain it alone. ;-))))

Best regards,

    Oliver Andrich