sockserv -- SMTP/NNTP/POP-like server module

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Fri, 26 Nov 99 11:51:35 GMT

The sockserv Python module allows one to easily create SMTP/NNTP/POP-like
command/response socket servers very easily.  Take the following example:

 import sockserv, os, string

 class uptimed(sockserv.sockserv):
  helpinfo_QUIT = ( '200-  QUIT', 'Terminate the connection.' )
  def do_QUIT(self, client, cmd, args):
   client.send('Bye now!', nl = 1)
   return(1)

  helpinfo_UPTIME = ( '200-  UPTIME', 'Display hosts uptime information.' )
  def do_UPTIME(self, client, cmd, args):
   uptime = string.strip(os.popen('uptime', 'r').readlines()[0])
   client.send(str(uptime), nl = 1)

 s = uptimed(5000)
 s.mainloop()

The standard socket library module is a fairly slim layer on top of standard
Unix sockets.  As you can see, this is a much higher-level abstraction.
It's been in use internally for around a year now, and has been used as the
base for numerous internal projects including SMTP servers and proxies, POP
and other similar protocols.

For more information see http://www.tummy.com/sockserv/

Sean
==
 Why would I want to be a Doctor, when I could be a MASTER?
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>

<P><A HREF="http://www.tummy.com/sockserv/">sockserv</A> - allows one to
easily create SMTP/NNTP/POP-like command/response socket servers very
easily.  (23-Nov-99)

--
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------
Article Submission Address:  python-announce@python.org