Zope Weekly News - Wed, 24 Nov 1999
Fri, 26 Nov 99 12:02:58 GMT
Zope Weekly News is a digest of some of the useful and interesting
events which have occurred on the various Zope mailing lists and the
Zope.org site. It is published each Wednesday evening.
New Products and Announcements
* "jwashin" released ZRTChat, an entirely ZClass real-time chat
* The new Sybase Database Adapter has been released. It has been
* "tseaver" submitted an internationalisation ZClass. It contains a
set of translations of a document and serves the correct language
to the user.
* "Zen" has released GenericUserFolder, which seems to allow you to
mix and match authentication methods to suit your needs.
GenericUserFolder is very much beta, and not to be used on
* "anthony" released an update of his SQL Session product. SQL
Session provides SQL database-based session objects, keyed to
browser cookies. Unlike the previous update, this one does not
break existing SQL Session objects.
* "rossl" has updated the LDAPAdapter product, which allows you to
authenticate web users with an LDAP server.
* Itmar Shtull-Trauring has released v0.3 of ZCache.
* "AlexR" posted a How-To about using ZCatalog's keyword index
facility. A keyword index is something halfway between a text
index and a field index-- it is a list of values which are treated
* Brian Lloyd has submitted a patch for Apache which allows you to
use WebDAV with Zope through Apache. Normally Apache intercepts
the HTTP OPTIONS request. With this patch, the request gets
passed to Zope so it can offer WebDAV services.
* "Earthtone" wrote a mini-review of the Zope coverage in a new
book, "The Quick Python Book".
* Sachin Shah wrote in to suggest that the Properties management
view should include each of the property's type. Martijn Faassen
agreed and suggested including the ability to change property
types. Evan Simpson pulled a property-type-changer out of a hat!
Oleg Broytmann suggests cut/copy/paste support.
* "Chas" asked for advice selecting an OS for his Zope server. He
will be using it with an Oracle server on another machine, and so
the operating system must be supported by Oracle. Suggestions so
far: Linux and Sun Sparc and FreeBSD with Linux emulation. No one
has verified whether FreeBSD, Chas's preference, would actually
* "Milt" wants to move a Zope server from a Windows machine to a
Linux one. He solicited advice for accomplishing this. Solution:
copy var/Data.fs from one machine to the other. It is
* Ross Boylan gives us a heads-up on a bug in Zope Products. It
seems that a failure in Product registration (ie, in the Product's
__init__.py file) can cause Zope to misreport an old error,
leading to the occasional headache.
* Alexander Limi is understandably concerned about sending cleartext
passwords over the Internet when authenticating Zope users and
managers. Christopher Petrilli offers some solutions.
* Jason Jone kicked off a brisk discussion of FastCGI and Zope. The
verdict: to get full functionality, you have to use a snapshot
(prerelease) of version 2.2.3 of mod_fastcgi. Using prerelease
code made some people uncomfortable. This will change when
2.2.3-final is released.
See also, doc/WEBSERVER.txt of the Zope CVS
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------
Article Submission Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Python Language Home Page: http://www.python.org/
Python Quick Help Index: http://www.python.org/Help.html