README: Python-URL! - the weekly guide to Python resources (Aug 30)

David Ascher
Tue, 21 Sep 99 06:52:27 GMT

Highly biased highlights from the O'Reilly conference:

    Tom Christiansen joins Guido and a few other Pythonistas for beer
    and random trivia (does || or && bind tighter in C?). A jovial
    time was had by all, and nothing caught on fire.

    There were more folks looking for Python programmers than Python
    programmers looking for a job!  The future's so bright, we gotta
    wear shades.

    eGroups CTO Scott Hassan says that they pump 30 million emails a
    day with Python without breaking a sweat, and expect to scale up
    to 200-300 million personalized emails per day.  Big numbers for a
    'slow' language!

    When Adam Feuer was asked whether he was having fun, he replied:
    "I'm having a blast -- I've been using Python for six months, and
    I feel like I'm having an affair with the language!"
Having the old fogies out of the way spurred activity on the

    One old fogie remained: Fredrik Lundh "parses arbitrary python
    expressions" he doesn't trust and Bernhard Herzog
    shows how to sneak in statements

    Arpad Kiss provides one minimal example of how COM can
    be useful by retrieving document properties into a Py-
    thon process

    David Niergarth "unmangles" a Win* "long name", but
    only with difficulty.  No better solutions appear

    Colin J Williams describes Hans Nowak's page of
    "snippets" as "clean and well-organized"

    Karl Putland retrieves a collection through COM

    Charles G Waldman carefully illuminates several alternative
    ways to shuffle cards
    Nihilist Tim Peters, once again misremembering which is the
    "dismal science", counters that "even the best possible al-
    gorithm ... is terrible"
    Other poetry from the same thread:  Mersenne Twister, tears-
    in-the-rain, Chi-squares, /dev/random

    People seem to argue a lot about nothing, specifically:
    The necessesity of pass statements in empty blocks, and whether
    returning None is a trap.  Some of the more useful posts:

    More usefully, some etymological truths are laid bare,
    specifically regarding nautical techniques thanks to Fredrik
    Henbjork the fisherman
    and Tim Peters and Kent Polk argue about who the real mathematical
    geniuses are

    In a blast from the past, what used to be Ted Nelson's Xanadu is
    bared to all, and some might be surprised to know what languages
    it's written in:

Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:'s Python Language Website is the center of Pythonia

      Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
          mailing lists

      Python Consortium emerges as an independent nexus of activity

      Python To-Do List anticipates some of Python's future direction

      Python Journal is at work on its second issue

      Links2Go is a new semi-automated link collection; it's impressive
      what AI can generate

    Archive probing trick of the trade:

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning,
ask <> to subscribe.

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Cameron Laird       +1 281 996 8546 FAX

----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------