IDLE 0.5 released

Guido van Rossum
Fri, 25 Feb 00 08:37:35 GMT

After a delay of nearly half a year, I've finally released IDLE 0.5.
I'll quote from the README after listing the URL:

(Dear edu-sig members, please don't fill the edu-sig mailing list with
detailed feedback on IDLE -- please use the newsgroup or the Python
Bugs List.  Discussion of requirements for adaptation of IDLE in
education are welcome; please first check the TODO list
( to see if I've already
thought of your request.)

IDLE has the following features:

- coded in 100% pure Python, using the Tkinter GUI toolkit (i.e. Tcl/Tk)

- cross-platform: works on Windows and Unix (on the Mac, there are
currently problems with Tcl/Tk)

- multi-window text editor with multiple undo, Python colorizing
and many other features, e.g. smart indent and call tips

- Python shell window (a.k.a. interactive interpreter)

- debugger (not complete, but you can set breakpoints, view  and step)

IDLE requires Python 1.5.2, so it is currently only usable with a
Python 1.5.2 distribution.  (An older version of IDLE is distributed
with Python 1.5.2; you can drop this version on top of it.)

IDLE is covered by the standard Python copyright notice

For feedback, please use the Python Bugs List

--Guido van Rossum (home page:

<P><A HREF="">IDLE 0.5</A> - the Integrated
DeveLopment Environment for Python in Python.  (15-Feb-2000)

----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------
Article Submission Address:
Python Language Home Page:
Python Quick Help Index: