Zope Weekly News
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:59:48 -0500 (EST)
Zope Weekly News is a digest of some of the useful and interesting
events which have occurred on the various Zope mailing lists and the
Zope.org site. It is published each Wednesday evening.
Any opinions contained in the Zope Weekly News are those of the
* A Documentation Survey has been posted. This survey will help
Digital Creations decide where to focus our efforts by allowing
you to tell us what you think about Zope documentation.
* "efm" has made a set of RPM distributions of Zope 2.1.4.
* Maik Röder has posted an announcement regarding the Zope
Documentation Project (ZDP). Among other things, the ZDP has a
new site. It's a fantastic resource, and definitely worth
* Software Product: NFG Navigation Product, submitted by "gyst"
Another product which provides navigation widgets such as trees
* Software Product: ZopeEDIT, submitted by "jimbag"
This product allows you to edit DTML object from your Zope
database in your favorite text editor. Maybe. Written in Python,
so it just might work on your machine. This is _not_ a Zope
add-on, it runs on it's own.
* Software Product: mod_pcgi2, submitted by "phd"
The update to 1.0.2 adds new documentation. This is module allows
Apache to communicate with long-running PCGI servers, such as Zope.
* Software Product: load_site.py with additional features, submitted
This is an enhancement to the load_site.py utility that comes with
Zope. It can be used to fill a Zope database with content from a
filesystem. This release, version 1.2, fixes all known bugs, has
new features from the newest version of the original load_site.py,
and runs in 'standalone' mode, loading into a remote Zope server.
* Software Product: FSSession, submitted by "gaaros"
FSSession allows you to store persistent, per-visitor information
on your filesystem. This update, to 0.3.0, fixes a number of bugs
and properly supports Zope transactions.
* Software Product: KM|Net News, submitted by Kevin Dangoor
KM|New News is a weblog (news site) product, not unlike (but not
identical to) Squishdot. This update is version 1.1.
* How-To: Managing http/https URL Links, submitted by "rbickers"
This How-To describes a clever method to generate links to objects
which require different protocols (http or https). This allows
you to use encryption only where needed, without using exclusively
* How-To: How to view all inherited and acquired attributes and
methods of an object, submitted by "dmost"
This How-To is essentially an educational (or debugging) tool.
Often it's difficult to figure out what methods an object has, or
where those methods are coming from. This How-To provides an
external method which lays it all out for you.
* How-To: User Defined Roles and Proxies, submitted by "lvogel"
"This HOWTO is to give a brief explanation of what a user defined
role is, why you would want to set one up, and how to go about
creating one. I also briefly touch setting up a proxy on Zope
* How-To: Change TinyTable values using DTML, submitted by "cguardia"
"The TinyTable product is a good tool if you need simple table
lookup functionality in your Zope apps. However, it's usefulness
is limited by the fact that it doesn't support writing single
values to the tables you create."
* How-To: RESPONSE.write with ZServer 2.1.4, submitted by "htrd"
"Streaming output does not work in Zope 2.1.4, when using ZServer
to serve HTTP. This is fixed with the following two files..."