[Package] FontTools: a font manipulation library

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:29:03 +0200

My FontTools project has moved to SourceForge:

   http://fonttools.sourceforge.net/

Blurb:

   FontTools is an open source library for manipulating fonts,
   written in Python. It supports reading and writing of
   TrueType fonts, PostScript Type 1 fonts as well as AFM
   files and some MacOS-specific formats. Goals: quality,
   completeness, flexibility.

Killer app:

   The package contains command line tools to convert TrueType
   fonts to an XML-based format, and back. These tools are also
   known as TTX.

This is really a pre-announcement: the project hasn't yet released
any files, so for now you're stuck with CVS or the "nightly tarball".

FontTools has been in development for about two years, and parts of
it (most notably the ttLib subpackage) are quite stable.

I need help in the following area: installation on Windows. I would
love to offer an easy to install for TTX, ready for *end users*.
Yet I know virtually nothing about Windows and I don't even have
access to a Windows box. I wouldn't know whether py2exe or the
McMillan Installer would be more suited to this particular project.

I've created two mailing lists, one for general discussion and
development:

   fonttools-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net

And one for CVS checkin messages, powered by syncmail, of
python-checkins fame (Hi Barry!):

   fonttools-checkins@lists.sourceforge.net

For subscription info please follow the "Mailing Lists" link
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fonttools/.

Just