ANN: First beta release of Jython-2.1
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:46:20 GMT
I am happy to announce the first beta release of Jython 2.1.
Jython is a Java implementation of the Python programming
language. It allows users to compile Python source code to
Java byte codes, and run the resulting bytecodes on any Java
Virtual Machine. It is a very seamless and smooth
integration with Java: from Python you have complete access
to all Java libraries, can build applets, can integrate with
Java beans, and can subclass Java classes in Python and vice
versa. Like Python, and unlike Java, Jython can also be
used interactively: just type some Jython code at the
prompt and see the results immediately.
A java installer is available for download at the Jython website:
Installation of version 2.1b1 is similar to version 2.0. Further
information and tips on installation is available at:
Jython 2.1 aims to be feature compatible with Python 2.1.1 and among
the new feature are:
- The weakref module is now available.
- The sys.exitfunc hook is called on exit and the sys.excepthook
is called when an exception occur.
- A CPython compatible xreadlines module.
- Support for os.environ and os.system() on common platforms.
- Includes zxJDBC for Python DB API 2.0 compatibility.
The list of bugs fixed since the previous release includes:
- [ #438297 ] SimpleHTTPServer does not work
- [ #440660 ] using nested java cls @ level >2 fails
- [ #448485 ] Tuple unpacking raises KeyError
- [ #448523 ] Support "ASCII" as builtin codec.
- [ #449316 ] ArrayList() should raise IndexError
- [ #449956 ] jythonc 2.1a3 --package problem
- [ #450938 ] time module requires JDK 1.4
- [ #451746 ] jythonc --deep pjy$packages problem
- [ #452526 ] traceback lineno is the except line
- [ #452947 ] Class of innerclass inst <> innerclas
- [ #453301 ] jythonc --compileropts on Windows
- [ #457614 ] pls change ©right; to (c) in sources
- [ #458945 ] Missing 'lastindex' on match objects
- [ #462280 ] builtin method as a class variable
- [ #467826 ] SHA digest() method doesn't work
- [ #473676 ] cStringIO bug
- [ #475445 ] incompatibility with python
- [ #475666 ] __nonzero__ exceptions must be ignored
- [ #476580 ] 'del obj.non_member' : wrong exception
- [ #476772 ] shutdowns in jython / atexit
- [ #477608 ] os.path.getmtime() missing
- [ #477768 ] ord() 21a3
- [ #477793 ] os.utime() is missing.
- [ #480373 ] Can't find _PyInner with classloader.
- [ #480390 ] main() does not throw exceptions
- [ #484181 ] command line args in dos
- [ #485558 ] Synchronization bug in sys.initialize.
- [ #485968 ] cStringIO.softspace is not assignable.
A complete list of changes and differences are available here:
Bugs can be reported to the bug manager on SourceForge: