Python 1.6.1 released towards GPL incompatibility

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:53:10 -0500

The Corporation for National Research Initiatives has released Python
1.6.1.  This is a "bugfix" release for Python 1.6, fixing a
GPL incompatibility in the license.  The new 1.6.1 release can be
found here:

    http://www.python.org/1.6.1/

There is great subtlety to GPL compatibility.  I refer to the webpages
of the Free Software Foundation for an explanation, in particular
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html.

This change does not imply that Python 2.0 or later versions are now
compatible with the GPL.  Similar changes to their licenses need to be
made there; these are still under negotiation.  I'll keep you posted.